Thursday, July 17, 2014

July 10, 2014 ~ Week 1 Peru MTC

Week 1 Peru MTC
July 10, 2014

Hola!

Peru is the best!  I have been at the Missionary Training Center for 9 days.  It is great!  I wake up every day at 6:30am.  After breakfast I go to a language class to learn how to speak and write in Spanish.  I remember back in high school when I signed up for Spanish class, and hoped that my teachers would teach Spanish in English.  Well, guess what??  There are no English speaking teachers here.  Our lessons are in complete Spanish!  However, I am grateful that our teachers use hand signals, in case we do not know a word.  I am in a class with 8 other people.  There are about 200 missionaries in the MTC.  Which consist of 20 Hermanas (Spanish for Sisters) and the rest are Elders.  There are lots of people from South America that are here at the MTC.  During meals it is fun to speak Spanish with them.  When I see the South American Elders in the hallways I say ¡Buenos Dias!  And they say “good morning”.  What we know in Spanish so far…. they know in English.  Also for an hour every day we all have physical activity, I play football and futbol.  All the South American missionaries play futbol. They are very kind, not competitive, and incredibly good at futbol.

I love the weather here!  Every day is completely overcast. I have not seen the sun or the moon once. Today is my P-day, (or my preparation for the week day).  I had the chance to go through the Lima Peru Temple.  I also went to a supermarket called Totas, I think.  It is the equivalent to Wal-Mart.  I bought Inka Kola (South America’s version of coca-cola), hangars for my clothes and some American candy.  Next P-day I will go to a store called Metros, where I will buy a Lionel Messi futbol jersey….I’m in Peru… I honestly have too.

Every Thursday I can reply to my emails and let you all know how my week has been.  Learning Spanish at time is hard, but my Spanish teachers tell us all to take it one step at a time.  We can apply that to everything.  Practice makes perfect.  Write me!  I would love to chat with you all.

The Church is true!

Words of the Week: poco a poco (little by little) paso a paso (step by step)


Elder McCook

No comments:

Post a Comment