Wednesday, December 17, 2014

December 8, 2014 ~ Week 23



Hola 
¿Que Tal?

Well there was no church yesterday because Peru had elections again, yup the same old same old.  When elections are held every single store is closed and every public building except for the building where you can vote.  There is also a 1000 sole fine if you get caught drinking.  So it was pretty nice to not see any drunks in the streets yesterday!

This past Tuesday Elder Atencio and I did divisions, where he went with one of the young men from the ward and taught some people, and I went with a young man named Edwin Mayo who is a member of the church and is 16 years.  We went and taught the Romero family.  I was very nervous for the lesson that I was about to teach: the Law of Chastity.  I don’t know exactly what to say when teaching this lesson in Spanish let alone talking about it in English.  So what I did was teach with authority and through the Spirit.  At the end of the lesson I told the Romero family, that I am here to help them and that I would like them to have a goal of a date to be married.

What happened next to me was a scene from a Disney princess movie.  Piter Romero grabbed Fransica’s hand and said tomorrow?  She was unsure…so he said the 25th?  She was still unsure… he said the 31st?  She was still unsure.  They agreed that they would pray for a date to be sure.  I told them that I do not want them to be married because Elder McCook is cool and “he” wants us to be married, but I told them that they should be married because of the love that they have for each other and for the love of God.

They agreed that they would pray for a date, and I cannot wait for their answer :)

This past Thursday we had a noche de misional in the church, and we had it all planned out as missionaries.  We planned to talk about Christmas, watch some videos from the Bible, eat popcorn and then to conclude the night by watching “He Is the Gift” video the church made.  Well, gotta love Peru, the entire city of Camana had a power outage, aka no electricity, it was very funny, so we sang 4 hymns in hopes that the lights would eventually turn back on, well that didn’t happen.  So my companion Elder Atencio read the story of the first Christmas that can be found in the bible in Luke 2:1-40.  It was a very great experience and the lights came back on as we left the church and locked the door.  It was a very funny and yet Very, Very spiritual experience. 

 I want to start a new thing that I will start doing every email, (if it happens during the week), called “Mess up of the Week”.

The mess up of this week was: when I was teaching; instead of saying “They Stopped” in Spanish, I ended up saying “They Gave Birth”.... the words for the two are very similar... I was laughing... everyone was laughing... oh Spanish how I love you.

Love you all and thank you for your prayers, support, letters, and emails!

Chao

Elder McCook

Word of the week: Navidad- Christmas
                           Elecciones- Elections
                           Matrimonio- Marriage  


No comments:

Post a Comment